Everyone knows that coffee is amazing for so many reasons, but did you know that you could be using coffee to lose weight, burn fat, and add lean muscle faster?
If you’re using pre-workout or weight loss supplements you may want to consider switching to just coffee, or at least adding it into your daily regimen. Coffee is an amazing aid for increasing muscle mass, burning fat, and generally losing weight all at the same time. What makes coffee so special, and why should you switch to coffee over other supplements?
Coffee, and all of its natural compounds, have been researched and perfected over the last 500-600 years. In that time, not much has changed in terms of the bean itself, but research has shown us the best ways to brew, source, and flavor your coffee to get the most out of each cup. Some of the components of coffee that we want to focus on are better extracted and preserved in specific roast and brew types, but no matter how you’re brewing you’ll be reaping the benefits with any high quality coffee.
Here are two reasons why coffee is your best new supplement:
- Cholinergic acid (GCA)
- Polyphenols are a group of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds and Coffee is said to be the #1 source in the world of natural polyphenols. The polyphenol GCA is said to reduce blood sugar levels, exert an anti-diabetic effect, increase oxidation of LDL-Cholesterol, lower blood pressure, increase NO bioavailability, and increase weight loss.
- Caffeine needs little introduction, and has a large array of benefits including reduced risk of Alzheimer's, cirrhosis, and liver cancer. More specific to fitness and weight loss, caffeine from coffee can increase testosterone, power output, thermogenic effects, anaerobic endurance, satiety, and even pain tolerance.
So how can you maximize these benefits from your coffee?
Here are a our scientifically backed suggestions:
- Buy fresh coffee.
- Buy local or find a roaster that ships roast to order.
- Buy premium quality coffee.
- Organic coffees or even simply pesticide, mold, and toxin free coffees.
- Buy whole beans and grind them fresh at home.
- Store your coffee in a dark, cool, and dry area.
- Drink your coffee black, or with a small amount of natural sugars and milks.
- Organic and natural sugars digest better than artificial sweeteners and chemically flavored creamers.
- Drink a roast you enjoy.
- Caffeine content and specific health benefits vary slightly from light to dark roasts, but finding a roast you enjoy will increase your chances of drinking coffee black, which is the best way to drink coffee overall
- Brew with the most convenient and consistent method for you.
- Whether you have a $2 brewing method or a $1200 espresso machine the important thing is to try to drink your coffee black and fresh. Our recommendation is to use a french press, simply for ease of use and time to make a consistent quality brew.
- Stay hydrated
- Adding ice to your coffee will definitely help with your water intake. All joking aside, staying hydrated will not only make you feel better overall, but will also increase the effectiveness of caffeine and other compounds in coffee.
Follow these steps and you’ll not only reap the benefits of your coffee, you’ll feel amazing around the clock.
Coffee V.S. Other Supplements
If you’re taking other weight loss or pre-workout supplements you may want to consider replacing them with coffee. Many of the ingredients in powders and pills are toxic to the body and include tons of added sugars and hidden ingredients. When you purchase quality coffee you know you’re getting one natural ingredient in each cup: coffee. Coffee is also a fraction of the price per serving compared to other powder and pill form supplements!
Personally, I’ve been on the powder train before and had a few decent results including a 550 pound deadlift and a 315 pound bench press, but the powders, pills, and energy drinks have always come with a major crash, terrible gastric issues, and the feeling that my heart may explode. Not to mention that even with my background in nutrition and chemistry I’m never sure what every ingredient in the tub or can is.
After switching to just NVR REST coffee, I’ve had even better performance milestones. I’ve deadlifted 550 pounds on coffee with little to no crash and no stomach issues at all, while also being able to run a sub-6-minute mile in the same week. I’d have died trying that after a scoop of pre-workout powder.
The Big Takeaways
Coffee is the ultimate drink for athletes in multiple sports due to its effectiveness in reducing inflammation, increasing athletic performance, and improving cognitive function. Drinking coffee black means consuming an amazing, all natural supplement with no hidden ingredients or chemicals. If you’ve enjoyed this article, check out the coffee in our store. Here at NVR REST we roast premium quality, toxin free coffee and deliver every order fresh and roasted to order. You’ll find roasts ranging from our Savage Sunrise blonde all the way to our Midnight ultra dark Italian roast. Every roast has amazing flavor and every bag comes with a reminder to stay relentless and crush your goals.
So what are you waiting for? Make some coffee and get moving!
Forever Caffeinated, NVR RESTING
- Kotyczka C, et al. Dark roast coffee is more effective than light roast coffee in reducing body weight, and in restoring red blood cell vitamin E and glutathione concentrations in healthy volunteers. Mol Nutr Food Res. (2011)
- Pontifex KJ, et al. Effects of caffeine on repeated sprint ability, reactive agility time, sleep and next day performance. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. (2010)
- Glaister M, et al. Caffeine and sprinting performance: dose responses and efficacy. J Strength Cond Res. (2012)
- Glaister M, et al. Caffeine supplementation and multiple sprint running performance. Med Sci Sports Exerc. (2008)
- Schneiker KT, et al. Effects of caffeine on prolonged intermittent-sprint ability in team-sport athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. (2006)